12 January 2014

Think Happy...14/52...

Oh, so it's Sunday! I had it planned that I was going to post yesterday as well, but I was too busy doing homework :( I had some pretty big news to tell as well! I'll just tell you later instead!

I had a pretty average week, so let's just jump in!

1. School! We went back on Tuesday, which was good because I got to see my friends again! Also, my friend Megan was off for a couple of weeks before the Christmas holidays because of a serious operation she had, and she was back in school, so woooo!!


2. Dancing started back on Monday, which was a lot of fun. I had street dance on the Monday and contemporary on Tuesday - it was a lot of fun to start getting fit after eating so much during the holidays, and it was great seeing more of my friends again.


3. I had lots and lots of dancing yesterday - from 11am until 3:30pm! I had a small lunch break like normal, but my newest change was a 2 hour street dance class.


Want to know why?

It's because have now started rehearsals for when we dance at Sadler's Wells Theatre in London! I'm so very excited because I've never done any dance shows apart from my school's annual one which we do at a local school.

We started learning the first of two routines, it's to the song Dibby Dibby Sound by DJ Fresh. It's a great song to dance to, and we're lucky enough to have Daniel in our school; he does lots of flips and it's really breathtaking!


4. I had Cats rehearsals this morning/afternoon! We've had to change the venue for some unknown reason, back to where I used to dance years ago. It's not my favourite place because it's so tiny, but beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.

We learnt the choreography to the Macavity and Munkustrap fight scene, which is so much fun! A girl from my ballet classes called Beth plays the character of Macavity, and my friend Shane plays Munkustrap, who's the 'narrator' of the show.

We also went over some of the newer numbers we've learnt recently, and did part of a run-through of everything in order. We were missing quite a lot of the principal dancers - Harry, Tan, Freddie, Courtney, Ariane and Milli - some were rehearsing for a school production and some just had family parties and other events on.

But all in all it was really good. When we did the Jellicle Ball (the 12 minute dance), I could feel that the lift Shane and I do is getting much better and smoother and he's more accustomed to my weight, so it feels more secure and comfortable now. I'll try and get a picture of it next week!


That's about it for this week, I think. But before I go, I need to tell you my news!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
My pointe shoes are dead! :o


So, basically, this is my second pair in about 8 months, and even then I only wear them for an hour a week, only half of hour of which I'm actually going en pointe. And it's not every week - we have lots of holidays!

In my pointework class yesterday we warmed up in the centre by doing the usual - echappes and releves, and more simple steps to get our feet ready. As usual I was barely managing to do the exercises due to pain in my toes - I thought I just had really bad feet and/or wasn't doing something correctly.

Then we moved to the back of the room and proceeded to to cloche walks to the front, which I eventually managed. Our teacher, Hayley, told us to couru to the back. I got halfway before needing to stop, and then complained to her about not being able to go fully over on my left foot - again, I thought that, as it's my weak foot anyway, I just needed to strengthen it up.

Hayley asked me to take my left shoe off for her to look at. She poked it a bit and then told me it was broken. I gave her my other and let her take them to Kirsten, who studied ballet at another dance school. Kirsten also agreed that my shoes were dead, and let me borrow hers.

As soon as I put her shoes on I actually couldn't feel the floor - it was like walking on air, seriously! Pointework had previously felt so bad to me, but that's how I thought it should be since I've never known anything different, but using these shoes felt like something completely different!

The good news is that next Saturday after my London rehearsals Hayley is taking me to a pointe shoe shop to get her own new pointe shoes and to get some advice about mine, which is really exciting! I honestly can't wait, as I need some with a stronger box and vamp, since mine around completely soft now.


Anyway, that's all for today, have a lovely week, I'll see you all soon. Bye!!

No comments:

Post a Comment