30 August 2014

improving

Earlier this morning I was browsing through the photos I took when I was on holiday, and they included a set of photos my mum took of me on the beach. What was I doing in those photos? Dancing. If there's one thing you have to do on the beach, it is to dance, whether you have nice weather or not. Especially when there are at least half a dozen people wondering what on earth you're doing.

Anyway, we took some shots of leaps, attempted scorpion leaps and and arabesques.


The photo on the left was taken at the end of August last year, and the one on the right was taken last Thursday. Oh how miserable the weather has been this year! But I really wanted to make this comparison, as I've seen improvements in class, and now I can see even more clearly here.

I'm happy with the amount that I've improved. Really happy. I think what I need to work on now is strengthening my back and really trying to get it more flexible, because my lines aren't all that pretty. I've been doing the cobra stretch a bit recently, and I can definitely feel it the following day, so I'd like to think it's working. Anyway, I shall continue with that.

Also, if you look at this photo of me back in March at our production of Cats the Musical, you can see my arabesque from five months ago.


I've improved a little since then, although the progress isn't as clear. I had a lot of work to do for this show. I mean, I didn't have my flat splits before I performed, and I was working right up until the show nights trying to get them as flat as I could. Typically, on the one night my family watched the show, I wobbled like heck in the arabesque. At least it wasn't our first or last night!

Since the show, I have slacked off a lot, in terms of splits. I spent some time before our summer break trying (and succeeding!) to get them, although I dread to think what they look like now after a month off from dance!

Anyway, enjoy the rest of your day! I'm off to go do a performance in our local park for charity, bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment